Benefits of a mastectomy bra:
Post-surgery bras, or 'mastectomy bras' are a specialised product for women requiring benefits which traditional bras simply do not offer.
The main benefits of mastectomy bras are:
- 1. Supportive, adjustable straps that help to restore body posture and stop straps digging in
- 2. Discreet pockets to hold prosthesis securely and invisibly for peace of mind
- 3. Deeper cups for comfort and extra support
- 4. Wider underband to keep the bra securely in place
Benefits of mastectomy swimwear:
Many women feel their most self-consious when wearing swimwear. By wearing specially-designed mastectomy swimwear, you can look your best and feel your most confident.
The main benefits of mastectomy swimwear is:
- 1. A choice of higher necklines to ensure good coverage for total confidence whilst you swim
- 2. All swimsuits are fitted with pockets to hold your prosthesis securely and discreetly, giving you the confidence and peace of mind that your prosthesis won’t slip
- 3. Higher cut under the arm for support and extra coverage
- 4. Elasticised under band to keep the bust section securely in place
- 5. Modest leg openings
- 6. Secret support of tummy control linings in some of our styles to help define your figure giving you excellent shape
Caring for your prosthesis:
- To maintain the shape of your prosthesis it is recommended to store it in its orginal box.
- Take care when pinning jewellery onto clothing that you do not pierce the outer skin as this can cause leakage.
- Make sure you remember to wash your silicone prosthesis with lukewarm water and mild soap. Then it can be left to dry at room temperature or patted dry with a towel.
How to prolong the life of your lingerie:
- Wash your garment after each wear
- With modern fibres, normal soiling can be removed at low temperatures
- Always read the label
- A warm hand wash is usually the best for bras
- Use gentle washing detergents ensuring the powder is completely dissolved so skin irritation does not occur
- Dry garments in the shade, as the sun will cause the elastic to perish.
- Machine washing will bend underwires
- Bleaching may break down the elastics
- Bras should not be dried in the clothes dryer as it can cause shrinkage which will allow the underwire to pop out.
USEFUL CONTACTSNSW Cancer Council: 02 6937 2600, www.cancercouncil.com.au
Breast Cancer Network Australia: 1800 500 258, www.bcna.org.au