The New Zealand Ministry of Health's 'Breast Prosthesis Service Payments' is a scheme aimed to reduce the cost of buying breast care products. Read below to find out how you can benefit and how Erilan can help.
Who can claim?
To benefit you must be a New Zealand citizen or ordinary resident and at least one of the following must apply to you:
- have had partial or full mastectomy (unilateral or bilateral)
- have had a lumpectomy
- have congenital needs
- have undergone reconstructive surgery, as specified by a specialist or GP
Who much money can I claim?
You are entitled to receive a maximum $613.33 per side within a 4 year period. This amount can be claimed within a series of smaller amounts at any time, as long as the total claimed does not exceed this figure. The 4 year period starts when you make your first purchase. You can spend more than the maximum entitlment value but will only receive this amount back.
Remember at the end of your entitlement period any unspent amount will be cancelled and another will be credited, so it's important to keep track of what you've spent and what you have left.
What products are eligible?
- breast prosthesis or breast forms (these may include standard breast forms, swim form, foam filler, shell prosthesis and lumpectomy shells)
- special bras to hold the breast prosthesis or breast forms
- surgical bras and normal bras
- modifications to bras to hold a prosthesis or breast form
- prosthetic nipples.
How to claim
Erilan stocks a range of products eligible for this scheme which you can purchase as normal with your own funds. Once you have purchased a qualifying item/items, you can simply make a claim.
You will need to first have a medical certificate from your specialist or GP which includes your NHI number and detail your need for a breast prosthesis.
You can then to print, complete and post the below two forms for reimbursement of your costs (up to to the value of $613.33).Breast Prosthesis Payee Number Application form Breast Prosthesis Claim Form
You may be entitled for further funds if:
- you are under 18 and your GP or specialist considers that your growth is incomplete and your prosthesis or prostheses needs to be replaced regularly; or
- you have lost a reconstructed breast due to infection after reconstructive surgery and need a replacement prosthesis orprostheses.
Requests for additional entitlement should be sent to:
Disability Services Directorate, Ministry of Health, PO Box 5013, Wellington 6145.